5 reasons we love dermal fillers
We posted last week about the lack of industry regulation around dermal fillers and the practitioners administering it. However, when you do your research and go to the right person – an experienced cosmetic doctor, nurse or dentist - who is subtle and conservative in their approach, the results are stunning. Here are five things we love about dermal fillers
1. Subtly re-volumises the face: As we age, our faces naturally lose subcutaneous fat and other tissues with a resultant loss of facial volume. This leads to hollowing of the cheeks and temples, sagging of the skin, and our expression and smile lines become more apparent. The quality of our skin changes: skin tone becomes uneven, the skin becomes less elastic and loses its softness and radiance. Filler can be used to augment cheeks to enhance their shape, add volume to the nasolabial fold and laughter lines, increase volume to fill out gauntness in the lower cheek or temple area, as well as filling out depressions under the eye area.
2. Instant gratification: The treatment time is short – usually about 30 minutes – and with hyaluronic acid fillers the results are instant. While you may experience redness, swelling and bruising for 48 hours after treatment, you can resume normal activity immediately, apart from exercise, which you should pause for 24 hours.
3. Dynamic and bespoke: There are multiple fillers to suit different patient needs. Hyaluronic Acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane, Vobella) – naturally occurring and an essential part of our facial tissue – are excellent soft-tissue fillers to increase volume, plump lips, smooth out deep creases and address acne or chicken pox scarring. Sculptra® (poly-L-lactic acid) is a filler which stimulates new collagen production to give you a very natural and youthful volumising effect. It forms a lattice within the tissue that provides a framework for your body to produce its own collagen. Radiesse is composed of calcium hydroxyapatite, a normal constituent of bone, and is used to restore volume loss in the face and hands.
4. Facial Contouring: A combination of fillers can be used to subtly reshape and contour your face, smoothening wrinkles, defining the jaw line, augmenting cheeks and adding volume to the face. We can also address facial asymmetry and down-turned mouths with strategically administered filler.
5. Long-lasting results: Depending on the treatment you have, results last between 6 to 24 months.