Platelet Rich Plasma therapy, or PRP, also known as the ‘vampire facial,’ is extracted from the patient’s own blood. A small vial is drawn and a centrifuge is used to separate the red blood cells from the platelets and growth factors, which are then expertly injected back into the patient’s skin.
PRP is a favourite treatment with ID patients and staff and here’s why!
1. PRP is one of our most naturally regenerative treatments, stimulating your own cells to do the work, with long-lasting results. It is therefore an ideal rejuvenating treatment for patients who may not be ready or interested in anti-wrinkle injections or dermal fillers, while also complimenting both of those treatments.
2. PRP has been used by doctors since the 1970’s to treat the injuries of elite athletes. By using healthy, regenerative cells found throughout the body, PRP has long been used as a treatment to speed up recovery time for these athletes and facilitate a return to peak performance.
3. PRP is excellent for that delicate under-eye area. Rich with protein and a slew of nutrients that promote collagen and elastin production, growth factors released from the platelets help to grow and regenerate tissue, tightening and smoothing the skin, (almost) naturally!
4. PRP is an excellent treatment to have alongside Microneedling. Microneedling works by stimulating the production of new collagen in the skin. This is achieved by controlled micro-injuries to the dermis with microscopic needles that stimulate your body’s natural wound healing process, while minimising cellular damage. When PRP is used in conjunction with Microneedling, the healing process can occur more quickly and completely, ultimately resulting in a smoother, more even texture of the skin.
5. As well as little to no recovery time, PRP is suitable for all skin types.